TIPs for a Satelite newbie

Niece KA1ULN

first of all I see this  groups is NOT used much?  why?
is there another  group I should be a member of   to learn more?

i know about the   frequencies   144.390 to see from    APRS
the  downlink and  the uplink frequency from ISS

i am also curious  how to work other  satellites (ham satellites)?
which  software  do you use?  windows and  IOS  for iphone?

thanx  so much
hopefully  we  will get more  traffic here
since  ISS  is a  lot more  active!
--
KA1ULN "10 meter (28mHz) & YL pusher"

DAY OF THE YL contest >>> http://ka1uln.blogspot.com/p/the-day-of-yls.html

BLOG: KA1ULN.BLOGSPOT.COM
2020  YEAR of the   Amateur  Radio Mentor
Please confirm all qso's
ARRL,YLRL, JLRS member
VE = Volunteer Examiner
when hear YL on FREQ: they take precedence! Take YL QSO first
SLOW CW net sunday 8 pm est / 00:01 utc 7.045 www.netlogger.org

Bill Erhardt

I use UISS for the APRS on the ISS on 145.825. PCSAT is also on the same freq.

Other satellites go to amsat.org

Bill

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Robin Burke

Hi Niece,

To be honest, I’d forgotten that this group existed but hopefully I can point you in one of the many directions to get information.

A great place to start is AMSAT.org which is free to browse but some features are members only. Go to the top menu and check out “Satellite Info” and then “Station Operating Hints” for a laundry list of resources. Amsat just updated (2020) their “Getting Started with Amateur Satellites” and it can be purchased and downloaded on their site store ($15). When I finally got around to joining Amsat I got a free copy with my membership and it looks pretty good.

There are numerous YouTube videos of various qualities available. Some have really good information but a lot just record their satellite contacts which doesn’t help a beginner. Your best source is finding an “Elmer” in your area who works the satellites possibly via your local club.

I started out in 1975 in Colorado with some of the original satellites (AO-7, etc.) with 10 meter, 144MHz and 432MHz links. I’ve been living in France for over 20 years now and just picked it up again about a year ago. When I got back into it I did what a lot of hams do... an old FT-60 144/432 HT to an Arrow antenna for the “LEO” birds (low altitude satellites). I When I was back in the US last year I picked up a full duplex Kenwood TH-d72 HT and that made life a lot easier being able to hear my transmitted signal (that’s the full duplex part). For newcomers it sounds like working the LEO satellite is getting really crowded (at least partially due to the increase in Technician licenses). Try weekdays if possible when there aren’t as many people on. It’s not quite so bad here in Europe although being retired has its advantages in scheduling operating time.

I’m 71 (ham for 57 years) and although I love building antennas I am getting to the point where my time trumps cost and I’ve gone to off-the-shelf antennas but there are a number of plans for cheap easy to build antennas that can get you started. Dave Tadlock’s YouTube channel has some building ideas using wood and coat hangers as do others.

Enough rambling. I hope the Amsat site can get you pointed in a good direction. Best of luck and enjoy the satellites.

Rob Burke - W2RSB| F4WCM
Vaucresson FRANCE

Niece KA1ULN

Hi Rob
great information I am appreciative of what you have shared. I was once an a sat member but did not know what I was doing because I think I was too focused on something else in the hobby at the time.  Now this is my main focus I have never contacted or used a Sat.   Hi have a kenwood Tm d710  the antenna is a really nice 2 m beam with a rotator and a 440 beam with a rotator and they both can turn.  I gotta figure out how that works

anyway thanx for sharing maybe more folks will come back here to share.

73 see ya in my log

Niece KA1ULN

Hi Bill

thanx for the info USS for aprs and ISS on 145.825. I keep my kenwood. Tm d710 on 144.390 and 145 825
my sat antenna I gotta figure out how to use it

thanx so much for getting back to me

73 see ya in the log